Deadwood businessman and former mayor W.E. Adams built Deadwood’s Adams Museum in 1930 as a tribute to Black Hills pioneers and in memory of his deceased first wife and two daughters. The Museum was a gift to the City of Deadwood and the building and grounds remain City property. The Museum, as is the Historic Adams House, is operated by Adams Museum & House, Inc., a non-profit educational organization.
Deadwood’s Adams Museum is considered the Black Hills’ oldest history museum. Artifacts on display from Deadwood’s infamous past reflect the powerful legends of Wild Bill, Calamity Jane, and Deadwood Dick. From a one-of-a-kind plesiosaur, the Thoen Stone, and W.E. Adams’ love letters to a lively folk art collection, Lakota bead and quill work, and Potato Creek Johnny’s gold nugget; the Adams Museum exhibits capture the mysteries, the tragedies, the bawdiness, and the dreams found in the history, art, and natural history of the Black Hills.
The Adams Museum is open year-round and features changing exhibits and special programs. The Adams Bros. Bookstore and gift shop is located on the first floor. All levels are wheelchair accessible. There is no admission charge to the Museum, but a $3 per adult, $2 per child donation is suggested.